My Office Diary

2/02/06

Dear Diary,
At work today I discovered a wonderful internet game known as Bejeweled 2. It is like a combination of Tetris and Columns. I just cannot stop myself from playing this game all through the day. It is so relaxing!
Sincerely,
Worker

2/05/06

Dear Diary,
Something is very wrong with me. Today my boss asked me to do something for him and I got mad because he interrupted my game of Bejeweled 2. I was actually angry. I didn’t say anything, but I felt enraged on the inside. Why do I get so mad when my boss asks me to do some work while I am playing an amazing puzzle game on the internet?
Sincerely,
Worker

2/07/09

Dear Diary,
I am getting very brazen. Today when my boss came into my office asking me to do something, I did not even try and hide my game of Bejeweled 2. In fact, as he was talking to me, I just kept staring at the screen and clicking on those beautiful jewels and nodded like I understood what he was saying. Except I didn’t and I had to email him after to ask him what it was he wanted me to do.
Sincerely,
Worker

2/08/06

Dear Diary,
Today my boss sent me an email asking me if I had enough work to do. I said that I did. And I do. . .is Bejeweled 2 considered work? Mental note: check union bargaining agreement to see if playing phenomenal internet puzzle games falls under job description.
Sincerely,
Worker

2/10/09

Dear Diary,
How is it that I can play an astounding internet puzzle game for hours and hours and hours on end and feel completely delighted but when my boss asks me to send one fax I want to rip the phone out of the wall and throw it at his head? I don’t understand. Why does one thing give me such pleasure and the other give me such deep deep pain?
Sincerely,
Worker

2/13/06

Dear Diary,
I read my bargaining agreement and to my dismay, internet puzzle games do NOT fall under my job description. I am extremely upset. I plan to speak with the union organizer about this injustice.
Sincerely,
Worker

2/16/06

Dear Diary,
My union decided to go on strike, Re: Bejeweled 2! Can you believe it? It turns out that the majority of the workers in my union were upset that they too were interrupted frequently by bosses when playing Bejeweled 2. One guy in the union made it to level 79 (LEVEL 79!!!!) and at this critical moment, his boss asked him to send out a reminder email for conference call they were having on Friday and he lost his concentration. Needless to say, when you lose your concentration, you lose Bejeweled 2.
Sincerely,
Worker

2/21/06

Dear Diary,
Guess what? After 4 days on strike, the bosses said that we were permitted to play Bejeweled 2 for 3 hours a day! WE WON! Of course, they took away our health care. But now Bejeweled II is listed as an official task under our job description. I am so glad to have a union!
Sincerely,
Worker

2/2406

Dear Diary,
Life is really a crazy ride. Now that Bejeweled 2 is considered a work activity, I find myself not wanting to play!!! Maybe the allure of Bejeweled 2 was in that fact that it was not permitted, looked down upon, and a form of defiance. But now when my boss sends us an email reminding us to play Bejeweled 2 from 1 - 4 pm, I want to punch my computer monitor with my bare fist, pull out the Cathode Ray Tube, and smash it over his head. Why is life always so ironic? WHY? It makes me want to hurl our new HP All-in-One fax/printer/copier/scanner into irony’s face.
Sincerely,
Worker